Facebook is the biggest social media network on the planet, with 1.3 billion active users and 20 billion messages sent every month. Users can use the Messenger app to keep in touch with their friends, but the platform is also used by both small businesses and international companies.
If you regularly exchange messages with a lot of people on Facebook, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. That’s why Facebook allows you to archive chats you want to put on hold, so you can revisit them at any time in the future. Keep reading and find out everything about Facebook’s Archive feature.
Transferring Your Messages to the Facebook Archive
You can archive any message or chat on Facebook with a few simple clicks or taps, depending on the device you are using. However, you can only archive messages via a computer, but you can view them from a mobile devices at any time. Here is what you have to do:
- Open your browser and log into your Facebook account.
- Open your desktop Messenger application by clicking on the “Message” icon and selecting “See all in Messenger.”
- Find the conversation you wish to archive on the left-hand pane.
- Click on the tiny “Gear” icon next to the conversation you want to archive.
- Select the “Archive” option from the list.
The entire conversation history will disappear from the message feed and appear in the Archive folder.
Viewing Archived Messages on Desktop Computers
The process for viewing archived messages on Facebook differs a bit on desktop and mobile devices. You needn’t worry, as we will cover both methods. Here is what you have to do to reach the Facebook archive on your desktop:
- Open your browser and go to Facebook.com.
- Log into your account.
- Select the messages icon and choose “See all in Messenger.”
- Click on the “Gear” icon in the top left corner and select “Archived Chats.”
- The folder with all your archived chats will appear. If you send a reply, the chat will reappear in the Messages.
People usually get confused when that happens, but replying to an archived chat makes the conversation active again. It is then transferred to the messages folder automatically.
You can also use the “Search in Conversations” feature to find a particular message by typing in a keyword used in that conversation. Keep in mind that this only works on desktop computers.
Viewing Archived Messages on Mobile Devices
When viewing archived messages from your mobile device, you don’t even need to open the Facebook app. Facebook Messenger has everything you need to reach the archive. Here is what you have to do:
- Open the Messenger app on your phone.
- Tap the search bar and type the name of the person whose archived messages you want to view.
- Select the contact you want and you will see the entire conversation.
Backing Up Your Facebook Account
If you want to make sure that your messages on Facebook are protected, you have to back up your account. Repeat the process every two or three months to make sure nothing gets lost. Here is what you have to do:
- Open your Facebook account and click on the “Gear” icon in the top right corner.
- Select “Account Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- When the setting page loads, select “Download a copy of your Facebook data.”
- Click “Start My Archive” in the next step and all data, including your conversations, will be downloaded to your computer.
- The download takes some time to complete. When it’s done, you will get an email with a detailed report.
Better Safe Than Sorry
Saving an old conversation with a friend or a business partner is always a good idea. You never know when you will need some information, even if your chat with the person is no longer active. Create a backup of all your Facebook data on your computer if you want to be extra safe. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.