Jerry Bezencon, Linux Lite Creator, has finally released the new version 5.0 of Linux Lite codenamed ‘Emerald.’ Linux Lite 5.0 is the most feature-rich and complete point edition than all the previous releases.
Linux Lite is one of the best lightweight Linux distros that is also considered a great replacement for Windows 7. So, if you’re looking to switch from Windows 7 that reached its end of life earlier this year you must check out the latest features of Linux Lite 5.0.
Linux Lite 5.0 ‘Emerald’: What’s New?
Lite 5.0 is a major release with new changes and updates to almost all components, starting from system boot settings to theming, design, and software.
Here I’m listing all the key new enhancements of Linux Lite 5.0.
- Default UEFI boot mode support
- Filesystem integrity checks while booting
- OEM new boot entry on boot menu list
- Third-party software download option in the installer
- HiDPI setting in Settings Manager
- Updated hardware section with handy information
- New Zim note-taking app replacing previous Cherrytree
- Removed the drawing and editing tool Pinta
- Dual architecture support
- Trash Bin bug fixes
- No hidden telemetry
- Uncomplicated Firewall utility GUFW replaced with a highly configurable FireWallD
- Adding Firewall status to Lite Widget
- Lite Welcome and Lite User Manager program updated to GTK3 and Python3
- Three new options on the welcome screen — Select Light or Dark Theme, UEFI & Secure Boot, Feedback.
- New Logout options with hide or show functionality using Lite Tweaks
- New software update notifier
How To Download And Install Linux Lite 5.0?
Now, if you want to install and try Lite 5.0 right now, download its ISO image from the official site here. Then, burn the ISO image to 2GB or larger USB stick or writable DVD using third-party software like Etcher or dd command.
Note: Linux Lite does not support Rufus, Yumi, Multiboot, and other multi-boot applications.
Lastly, boot the system with a USB stick and install Linux Lite 5.0 ‘Emerald’ to enjoy the best lightweight Linux distro experience.
Powered by Froala Editor